Saturday, April 2, 2011

Flavorsome Frittata

Today I made this delicious frittata that I adapted from a Weight Watchers online recipe.

Ingredients:
Cooking spray
1 onion, sliced
2 large eggs
4 large egg whites (I used 1/2 cup Egg Beaters egg whites)
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, cut in half
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (I used reduced fat)
2 Tbsp dried bread crumbs (I used Panko)
Basil (I chopped up about 5 large leaves)
Spinach (I used about 3/4 cup chopped)

Instructions:

Preheat broiler.

Coat skillet with cooking spray. Cook sliced onion over medium heat until tender (about 5 minutes).

In bowl, beat together eggs, egg whites, salt and pepper.  Stir in tomatoes onion, spinach and basil.

Coat skillet again with cooking spray. Set over medium heat.

Pour mixture into skillet and cook until almost set, about 5 minutes.

Sprinkle cheese over frittata and top with breadcrumbs.

Place skillet under broiler until cooked through and bread crumbs turn golden-brown. (this happens very quickly - about 1 minute) 
*Note: if you do not have a skillet that can be placed in the oven (a problem I ran into) slide almost set frittata into a pie pan to finish cooking under the broiler.

Cut into wedges and enjoy!



I served my frittata with a whole wheat waffle topped with mango.  Mouthwatering.  

No comments: