Monday, March 1, 2010

Pearly Whites

The weight of a smile is dependent on the time of day. It is harder to give and receive morning smiles as everyone is waking up, thinking about their to-do lists of the day, and hurrying to get to work or school.
Early this morning, I got a huge, teeth showing, authentic smile from a girl to who sat next me on the bus. Of course this made me smile and made the day seem just a little bit better.
After I got off the bus, I decided to pass on the happiness she had shared with me. I smiled at people I passed. I didn't smirk or nod. I smiled. Big. I made eye contact, and gave them that nice $10 grin. Some people looked at me like... "Do I know you?" but many others returned the gesture, being that smiles are so contagious.
I like to think these people went about their day smiling at others too, just as I had. It was a simple little game of 'pass it forward' played with the free gift of smiles.

No comments: