Sunday, October 9, 2011

Eda

 We have added another love to our lives.  Eda is our newly adopted 8 month old Siberian Husky.  She is very friendly with other canines and people, sweet and cuddly, hilarious, and a bit sassy. She loves to "give kisses," sit, and come on command (unless there are other intriguing distractions, which there often are). She is extremely toy motivated, so we usually hand her a toy for a reward (saves money on treats, right?!) Oh, and the squeakier/ more annoying the toy is, the more she LOVES it.  Right now she weighs 45 pounds and we don't expect her to grow much more.

A few days after we adopted Eda, we noticed a wound on her abdomen and immediately brought her to the vet.  They were great with her, and scheduled surgery for the next day to make sure there were not left over sutures from being spayed causing infection.  When I dropped her off for her procedure, she was happy as could be.  She loves meeting people and greeting animals whether they would like to meet her or not. When I picked her up later that day, she was a different dog.  The incision was still painful, she had an uncomfortable drain tube sticking out of her wound, and the cone she had to wear on her head embarrassed and annoyed her.  The nurse flipped Eda over to show me her incision, and Eda cried out.  Then I cried.  I said, "Oh my, this is tougher than I thought.  What will I do when I have a baby!?" The nurse laughed at me and told me I would have to be strong, and that really Eda is quite the drama queen.  This cheered me up because it is sooo true.  In this short week we have had her we have found that, in Jake's words, "Eda is very expressive."

Eda is doing very well now, just a little "sassy" from being kept in the apartment all day and only taken out to do her business.  She gets her drain tube out tomorrow.  I'll have to put on my big girl panties and be tough.  She will still have to wear her "pretty necklace" (cone) and relax for another 7 days until she gets her stitches out. It is not the easiest to keep an active dog from being active, but it will pay off when we have a healthy, happy pup.  We tell her that we know it's hard, we know she's bored, we will make up for it when she is healed.  She understands.  She is one smart girly. 

1 comment:

Eden Marie said...

the cone of shame!!! :) she's so cute! i can't wait to meet her!